Agricultural Communication photos/Tom Campbell; archive photos provided
There is history in every nook and cranny of the Feldun-Purdue Agricultural Center—a century of it, to be exact.
Located just west of Bedford, Indiana, in Lawrence County, the farm dates to the 1830s. In 1914, Moses Fell Dunn donated 360 acres to Purdue University, making it the first property outside of Tippecanoe County to be purchased for Purdue agricultural research.
For 100 years, the farm has been a key factor in the College of Agriculture’s role as a leader in livestock research. More than 10,000 bulls have been tested at Feldun since 1976, where they are evaluated for genetic defects, growth, meat quality, structural and breeding soundness, and expected progeny differences. Cattle producers use those test results to help make purchasing decisions at the semiannual bull auctions.
The farm now encompasses nearly 900 acres plus an additional 300 acres of rented ground.
The August 23 centennial celebration at Feldun-Purdue Agricultural Center begins with registration from 2:00-3:00 p.m. EDT, followed by tours of the farm from 3:00-5:30 p.m. The evening dinner program will start at 6:00 p.m. RSVP by calling 812-279-8554. Please register by Aug. 6. The farm is located at 1117 State Road 458, Bedford, IN 47421. Those who are unable to attend might enjoy this photographic tour of the facility.
Read more about this story in AgriCultures magazine.