- Meet the new food icon -- MyPlate -- that is designed to remind Americans to eat healthfully. Replacing MyPyramid, MyPlate makes it easy to understand what and how much to eat. The main messages MyPlate is meant to convey are:
* Enjoy your food, but eat less.
* Avoid oversized portions.
* Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
* Make at least half your grains whole grains.
* Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.
* Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
* Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals -- and choose the
foods with the lower numbers.
The USDA has supplied a sample 7-day menu for eating 2,000 calories per day and complying with the MyPlate recommendations. Check it out!
For more information, including tips for eating out, menus, a food planner, and information on vegetarian diets, visit ChooseMyPlate.gov