Kitchen Invention Showdown
A healthy recipe development/cooking competition for youth in grades 3-12
Create a recipe using foods rich in calcium, vitamin A, and/or fiber.
Click here for an entry form
Entries due: July 1, 2013
Cook-Off: July 18, 2013
· Enter in teams of two.
· Enter the division based on the grade you were enrolled in during the 2012/13 school year.
· All recipes for Grades 3-12 must have at least two of the foods listed on the Ingredient List and be prepared to add two mystery Indiana grown ingredients.
· Recipes must be original and not published. Teams may use a published recipe that has been altered or modified.
· All recipes must be made in 30 minutes or less using a blender, electric burner, and/or microwave. These items will be provided. Any additional items or untensils are provided by the entrants. No range, open flames or ovens will be permitted.
· Recipes requiring freezing or refrigeration time are not permitted.
· Recipes requiring “setting” time will not be accepted (i.e.: molds and gelatins, etc.).
· Undercooked or raw eggs, egg whites, or any meringues are not permitted in the recipes due to food safety concerns.
· The entire recipe must be prepared on location. The only items which may be made in advance are plain, boiled pasta or the bean option ingredients.
· From the recipes submitted, the top 3 teams in each category will be invited to the Kitchen Invention Showdown at the 2013 4-H Fair.
· No alcohol is permitted in the recipes.
Grades 3-5 Wrap & Roll Sandwiches
9:00 a.m. (Any sandwich in a wrap or on a roll.)
Grades 6-8 Pasta Pleasures or Salad Sensation
9:45 a.m. (A hot or cold pasta dish or any type of non-pasta, fruit, and/or vegetable salad.)
Grades 9-12 Deceiving Desserts
10:30 a.m. (A healthy or “deceiving” dessert.)
11:15 a.m. Family Favorite
(Small appliances provided.)
Calcium: 1 serving =
1 c. Milk
1 oz. Cheese
1 c. Yogurt
1/2 c. Pudding
Vitamin A: 1 serving = 1/2c.
Food may be fresh, canned, frozen, dried, or in the juice form.
Fiber: 1 serving=
1/2 c. Broccoli
1/2 c. Raspberries
1/2 c. Strawberries
1/2 c. Blackberries
1/2 c. Spinach
1/2 c. Peas
1/2 c. Beans, cooked*
1/2 c. Whole grain pasta, cooked**
1 6” whole wheat tortilla
1 whole wheat roll or slice of whole wheat bread
* any style, black, navy, pinto, refried
** pasta may be boiled prior to Showdown.
Nothing else may be added prior to competition.
Mystery Ingredients: There will be a range of locally produced surprise ingredients for your team to incorporate into your recipe. You must incorporate a minimum of two mystery ingredients. Teams will receive a listing of possible mystery ingredients that will be available. Team members will need to be able to cut/chop etc. (with the guidance of the chefs).
Questions? Contact Susan Peterson
317.776.0854 or email@example.com