- Print-Friendly Version
- Remember to check the online County Calendar for additional information about 4-H events.
- For project updates, photos, reminders about upcoming 4-H events, and more, check out the Purdue Extension-Lake County 4-H Facebook Page!
- 4-H NEWS
- Welcoming Our New County Extension Director – Jan Reed
- Jan has been a member of the Lake County Extension staff for the past nine years serving as the EFNEP (Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program) Supervisor. In that role she lead the paraprofessional staff in conducting nutrition education programs for limited income families. Later, she added the youth component to her responsibilities which includes supervision of the paraprofessional staff delivering nutrition education to all Lake County schools with at least 50% free/ reduced lunches.
Prior to her work in Lake County, Jan served as an Extension Educator in a variety of roles in Newton, Benton, and Jasper Counties for twenty years. She served as a 4-H Youth Development Extension Educator and as a Consumer and Family Sciences Extension Educator in each of those three counties. She has a BS degree from Indiana State University and her MS degree from Purdue University, both in Consumer and Family Sciences Education. She and her family reside near Lowell. As the new CED, she looks forward to meeting and working with the many volunteers involved in the Purdue Extension Service locally.
- Enrollment for the 2012-13 4-H Year
- 4-H members may enroll online at www.four-h.purdue.edu/enroll. Members may also log in and drop or add projects as needed during the year. Paper enrollment forms are available from club leaders and at the Extension Office. Whether you enroll online or via a traditional paper form, please enroll by February 1, 2013
LATE ENROLLMENT POLICY: Online enrollment will be closed after February 1. Members may still enroll but will have to do so at the Extension Office and there will be a $10 late fee. This fee does not apply to new members.
PROJECT MANUALS: The procedure for ordering project manuals and other 4-H publications has not changed. The 2013 Publication Order Forms have been distributed to club leaders.
- Warm Up Frosty
- Adult Volunteers, Junior Leaders, and Ambassadors: Remember to bring your donations of hats and gloves to the Recognition Banquet. The Junior Leaders are collecting these items for needy kids in Northwest Indiana in conjunction with the Catholic Diocese of Gary. Please ask your club members to help collect these items. New items only please. If you are not attending the banquet, you can bring the items to the Extension Office before January 24. Thanks for your support
- 4-H Scholarships/Trips Packet
- The 2013 State 4-H Youth Development Scholarship/Trips Packet for 4-H members in grades 10 & above is posted on the state 4-H website at http://www.fourh.purdue.edu/ind_4h/scholarships.cfm#
- Don’t miss the opportunities!
- Please note: Applications are due to the Extension Office no later than January 16, 2013.
The Extension Office will be closed December 24, 25, and 31, January 1 and 21, and February 18.
- 4-H Mentoring: Youth and Families with Promise
- We are pleased to announce that our funding has been renewed for a third year of the 4-H YFP program. As part of this program, there are afterschool 4-H clubs at community centers in East Chicago. We look forward to another year of learning, service, and fun with the A Better Place 4-H Club at the Bessie Owens Center, the JUBILANT 4-H Club at the Roberto Clemente Center, and the NIKE 4-H Club at Penn Center!
- Cargill 4-H SET Clubs
- We are also pleased to announce that a grant from Cargill is helping us establish three new 4-H science clubs in Lake County. We welcome the St. Mary’s Cybercats Robotics 4-H Club at St. Mary Catholic Community School in Crown Point! Two other science clubs will meet at the Thea Bowman Leadership Academy and the Banneker Honors Achievement Center in Gary.
- Chicken Embryology
- Twice a year we do the Chicken Embryology Program. The youth all across the county enjoy the incubation hatching process and learn a lot from the program. After the chicks hatch, we give them away FREE to all 4-H members. We are asking for friendly donations to the program to keep it going. So please, when you come pick up the chicks this Spring on March 15th, please make a donation to the program!!!
- Introducing the Lake County 4-H Biotech Team (aka 4-H Science Ambassadors):
- Brandon Boatner, TBLA Eagles
- Michael Clark, Just Horse’n Around
- Matt Kresich, Griffith Grinners
- Ben Mecyssine, Griffith Grinners
- Paige Mecyssine, Griffith Grinners
- Jenny Reed, Riley
- Danei Wesly, TBLA Eagles
Having completed a training session in Indianapolis on Nov. 16-17, team members will visit local schools and 4-H clubs to teach others about biotechnology and agri-science. Special thanks to coaches Sue Kresich and Lynda Bodie!
- Indiana 4-H Youth Congress
- Our delegates to the 2012 Indiana 4-H Youth Congress were Michael Clark, Just Horse’n Around, Matt Kresich, Grifftith Grinners, Annie Kennelly, Hanover Haymakers, Kathy Kennelly, Hanover Haymakers, and Sarah Dingman, Rockin’ Clovers. Thank you for representing Lake County and we look forward to hearing about your experience.
- Indiana State 4-H Key Club Awards
- I am sad to announce that we had no applications submitted from Lake County this year.
- The Indiana 4-H Key Club recognizes Junior Leaders for their tenure and participation in 4-H, including project work, demonstrations, judging, offices held, and other activities. I encourage all Junior Leaders to apply for this award in the future.
- Entomology & Forestry Judging CDE
- The Lake County Entomology and Forestry Judging Contests were held Nov. 5. These activities are open to all 4-H members with an interest in insects and/or forestry. Beginners are welcome! Participants are asked to identify specimens and take a written test. Top scores:
- Junior Entomology:
- Michael Clark, Just Horse’n Around- 1st st
- Allison Bewick, Lone Rangers- 2nd nd
- Katelynn Neal, St. John Spitfires- 3rd
- Makayla Neal, St. John Spitfires- 4th th
- David Dingman, Rockin’ Clovers- 5th th
- Senior Entomology:
- Claire Miller, Schneider Busy Jrs-1st
- Sarah Dingman, Rockin’ Clovers- 2nd nd
- Junior Forestry:
- Katelynn Neal, St. John Spitfires- 1st
- Michael Clark, Just Horse’n Around- 2nd
- Makayla Neal, St. John Spitfires-3rd
- David Dingman, Rockin’ Clovers-4th
- Allison Bewick, Lone Rangers –5th
- Senior Forestry:
- Sarah Dingman, Rockin’ Clovers- 1st
- Congratulations to the Lake County 4-H Entomology Judging Team who, after qualifying at the Area contest held in Knox, Indiana, participated in the state contest at Purdue University: Sarah Dingman, Claire Miller, Allison Bewick, Michael Clark, Katelynn Neal, and Makayla Neal!
Our Junior Team placed 5th in the state. Two Lake Co. members placed in the top ten for individual scores, Sarah Dingman (9th place, senior) and Michael Clark (5th place, junior).
- Do you need Youth PQA Training
- Lake County Extension Office is offering training on January 2 at 1pm and 5:30pm and on January 4 at 1pm. Pre-registration is encouraged as space is limited. You can pre-register by signing up under the county calendar, visiting this site https://purdue.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_a5Kr2tFZGN4FTX7 or by calling 219-755-3240.
- State 4-H Poultry Workshop
- Boone Co. Farm Bureau Community Building - Boone County 4-H Fairgrounds, Lebanon; I-65 at exit 138
- Saturday, January 5, 2013 - 10:00 a.m.—1:30 p.m
- Location Map: http://www.ag.purdue.edu/counties/boone/Pages/OfficeLocation.aspx
- Food & Drinks Available throughout the workshop Exhibition quality birds will be available for purchase; first come, first serve.
- BI-State 4-H Judges & Leaders Clinic
- KNOY EDUCATION CENTER - NORTH FROM I70 EXIT 41 ON HIGHWAY 231 CLOVERDALE, IN
- FEBRUARY 16, 2013
- As 2013 quickly approaches, be sure to mark your calendar for the Area 5 Bi‐STATE 4‐H JUDGES & LEADERS CLINIC. This training will provide youth development opportunities and growth to all 4‐H club leaders, volunteers and project judges.
- Jr. Pork Day
- March 2, 2013
- Registration – Fee $5.00 - Lilly Hall of Life Sciences Lobby – 8am-3pm
- This program is being supported by the Crossbred Classic, Indiana Swine Breed Associations and the
Purdue University Animal Sciences and Youth Development and Ag. Education Departments. If you have questions or need additional information, please contact Brian Richert – Extension Swine Specialist at 765-494-4837 or email@example.com or Aaron Fisher – 4-H Youth Specialist at 765-494-8433 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Midwest Women in Ag Conference
- The 12th annual Midwest Women in Ag Conference will be held in Columbus, IN (Bartholomew County) at the Clarion Hotel & Conference Center on February 21-22, 2013. The conference is a great opportunity for women in agriculture to attend educational sessions, learn new resources and network with other women from across the state. Registration is $90 per person prior to February 7th. Learn more and register at the Purdue University Women in Agriculture website: http://www.extension.purdue.edu/wia/
For more information, contact Kelly Heckaman, Extension Educator, Purdue Extension-Kosciusko County at: (574)372-2340 or by e-mail: email@example.com .
- Youth in Grades K-2 are invited to Mini 4-H Cabin Fever
- **Date Correction**Saturday, February 2nd, 2013, 9am-Noon, LCFG 4-H Building, Cost $5.00. Please turn in registration form and money to the Extension Office by January 25th.
Save the Date-Agriculture Awareness Days, April 16-17, 2013
- Save the Date-4-H Night at the RailCats
- Friday, June 7, 2013
4-H PROJECT UPDATES
Project Changes for 2013
- • These projects have changes to their requirements. Please read your Handbook carefully!
- Livestock General Rules Artificial Floral Design Basic Craft Other
- Basketry Beef Cake Decorating—Without Tips
- Ceramics Consumer Meats Dairy
- Dog Entomology Farm Models
- Fine Arts Garden Goat
- Latch Hook Leather LEGO
- Needlecraft Photography Plastercraft/Resin
- Rabbit Reclaimed Treasures Sheep
- Scrapbooking Soft Dolls & Toys Wearable Art
- Woodworking Wreaths
- If you have questions or suggestions about our county’s projects, please come to the leader meetings and share your ideas! All 4-H volunteers, parents/guardians, and members are welcome.
- Change to all Arts & Crafts Projects including Artificial Floral Design, Basic Craft Other, Basketry, Ceramics, Fine Arts, Latch Hook, Leather, Lego, Models, Needlecraft, Plastercraft/Resin, Reclaimed Treasures, Scrapbooking, Soft Dolls & Toys, Wearable Art, and Wreaths:
Members must attach a postcard or page-sized description of work done to complete the exhibit.
- Baby Chicks Arrive
- Friday March 15th
Baby chicks from the 4-H Chick Embryology Program in Lake County schools will be available for 4-H members to pick up late Friday afternoon and evening at Tom & Kris Reed’s Farm, 12921 Iowa St. Crown Point. These chicks would make excellent poultry project exhibits for the fair. They are free to 4-H families who can provide for them.
To reserve chicks, please call Connie Brittingham at 663-6420 or Kris Reed at 663-0846.
- Auction Livestock Change
- 4-H members are allowed to sell “THREE” live animals plus one carcass per species through the auction, with the exception of rabbits, poultry, and dairy steers per auction rules.
There are current vacancies for officers. Please complete the Application Form off the website and submit to the office by January 7th for voting at the next meeting.
- Junior Leader Fundraiser
- Junior Leaders are collecting old cell phones. This will protect our environment and serve as a fundraiser for our organization. We also collect new or gently used children's books to donate to the Lake County Health Department.
- LEADER’S LINKS
- Banquet-January 24th
- We hope to see you all the Leadership Recognition Banquet on January 24 at the Great Oaks Banquet Center, Cedar Lake! Invitations have been mailed to our 2012 4-H volunteers, completed Junior Leaders, and the incoming Ambassador Board.
- Upcoming 4-H Committee Meetings:
- All 4-H volunteers, parents, and members are welcome.
- Adult Leaders-January 15 & 7 pm, Extension Office
- Horse & Pony Leaders-January 18, 7 pm, Extension Office
- Auction Committee- Tuesday, October 30 and Wednesday November 14, 6p.m. Extension Office???
Administrative leaders are asked to make sure that each club is represented at the leaders meetings each month. If you cannot attend personally, please designate an assistant leader, parent, or member to be present! Also, please check your 4-H Club mailbox regularly.
- 2012 Club Reports Due Jan. 31
- Club audits, financial reports, and activity reports have been mailed to administrative leaders of each club. These materials are all due on January 31, 2013. If your club was selected for audit, you will need to turn in additional records, as explained in your letter. Your help with completing these forms in a timely manner is greatly appreciated. If you have any questions, please contact the Extension Office.
- Club leaders are asked to make sure that all of the adult volunteers associated with their clubs have completed and turned in their enrollment forms. A list of club volunteers has been placed in your mailbox.
Please remind your members that youth enrollment forms are due Feb. 1!
- Geranium Sale
- Mark your calendars now for the annual 4-H Geranium Sale, March 11-April 8. Pick up will be Saturday, April 27 at the Fairgrounds.
- Purdue Extension, Lake County
- Jennifer Govan and Julie Jones, Extension Educators 4-H Youth Development
- Roz Coleman and Rae Ann French, 4-H Secretaries
- Jan Reed, County Extension Director
- Phone: 219-755-3240
- Fax: 219-755-3253
- Office Location: 880 E. 99th Court, Suite A, Crown Point, IN 46307
- Office Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30am-4:30 pm
- Mailing Address: 2293 N Main Street, Crown Point, IN 46307
- If you have special needs, please indicate on registration form or call us at least three days prior to the meeting/event at 219-755-3240 or call 888-EXT-INFO and ask for the Lake County office.
- It is the policy of the Purdue University Cooperative Extension Service that all persons have equal opportunity and access to its educational programs, services, activities, and facilities without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, disability or status as a veteran. Purdue University is an Affirmative Action institution. This material may be available in alternative formats.