Purdue University PURDUE EXTENSION
Pike County

We transform lives and livelihoods through research-based education
About Us
Left Menu

Local Links
Newsletters & Publications
County Location
Skip Navigation LinksPike County CES

Frequently Asked Questions


Are you looking for specific information and can’t seem to find out? Our list of frequently asked questions may help.

Who's on the Fair Board?
The Pike County Fair Board continues to be referenced as an active board.  However, the Pike County Fair Board dissolved several years ago.  The Pike County 4-H Council has assumed the duties of the now-defunct Fair Board.

What is the Pike County 4-H Council?
The Pike County 4-H Council helps lead the Pike County 4-H program. The primary purpose of the Council is to provide an informal, educational 4-H program for the youth of Pike County.  The annual Pike County 4-H Fair serves as the yearly culmination of our 4-H'ers hard work.

What are the 2013 Pike County 4-H Fair dates?
The 2013 Pike County 4-H Fair will be held on July 14-21. Check out our Fair Blog, 4-H Fair Facebook page and Fair Twitter feed for details! (Links at left under "Local Links".)

When can my child join Future 4-H or 4-H?
Youth in grades K-2 may join Future 4-H and youth in grades 3-12 may join 4-H.
Pre-K or younger youth are welcome to participate in the Children's Open Class and Pee Wee Showmanship classes at the 4-H Fair.  Contact our office for details!
The Pike County 4-H enrollment period begins in late winter/early spring and enrollment forms are due April 1, with livestock forms due on their own due dates.
All youth in grades K-12 may participate in 4-H even if their forms are received after the deadline.  However, if a "traditional" 4-H member enrolls after the deadline he/she will not be eligible for ribbon premium money or the livestock auction.

How much does Pike County 4-H Cost?
Beginning in 2012, there will be an Indiana State 4-H Program Fee.  For more information, contact our office at 812-354-6838.  County fees, if any, will be announced in advance.  Please contact us if you have questions.
Most 4-H manuals are free.  However, we do charge for some project materials (e.g. Electric I and Electric II kits, the Cake Decorating book, poster backs & covers, etc.).  Please ask if you have questions.
Total costs for participating in 4-H will depend based on the projects and activities youth participate in during the year.

Where can I purchase a Pike County Plat Map/Book?
Pike County plat maps are available in the Auditor's Office, located on the second floor of the Pike County Courthouse.  For pricing and availability, call the Auditor's Office at 812-354-6451.
You can also obtain information by searching http://pike.in.wthgis.com/.

Where can I obtain a map of Pike County (or of Petersburg)?
The Pike County Chamber of Commerce has large, full color maps of Pike County which include maps of each town.  Visit the Chamber at 714 E Main Street in Petersburg or call 812-354-8155 for details.

What's the difference between the 4-H Fairgrounds and Hornady Park?
Even though fairgrounds visitors must enter Hornady Park to gain access to the fairgrounds, the 4-H Fairgrounds are operated and maintained separately from Hornady Park.  The Pike County 4-H Council maintains the fairgrounds, while the City of Petersburg controls Hornady Park.

How do I get information about renting the 4-H Building?
Call the Extension Office at 812-354-6838 for information about rental fees, available dates, seating capacity and more.  You may also want to visit the "4-H Fairgrounds" page.  (The 4-H Fairgrounds are located on the western side of the Hornady Park Road, or to the right as you circle the park.)
Please note that that there are no shelter houses on the Pike County Fairgrounds.  To rent an open-air shelter house in the park, see below.

How do I reserve a shelter house at Hornady Park?
To reserve a shelter house, please call Petersburg City Hall at 812-354-8511.

How do I make a reservation for Prides Creek Park?
Call Prides Creek at 812-354-6798.

What time is it in Pike County?
Pike County is in the Eastern Time Zone.  We are on "Indianapolis time" and are one hour ahead of "Evansville time".  For more information, visit the "What TIme Is It?" page.

What are your office hours?
Since our office is located in the Pike County Courthouse, we are open when the courthouse is open.  Normal business hours are Monday through Friday from 8 am to 4 pm Eastern Time (see "What Time Is It" for information on time zones).  Our office will be closed if the courthouse is closed.  Also, Extension Educators will be out of the office on Purdue holidays  Click here for a list of scheduled courthouse closings and Purdue holidays.

Could you give me the phone number for xyz office?
Click on this link for a list of frequently requested numbers - from Petersburg City Hall to the Health Department and many more.

School was cancelled.  Is there still a meeting tonight?
If Pike County schools are cancelled or released early due to inclement weather, all meetings and activities will be rescheduled.


As always, if you have any questions, feel free to call our office.