Extension History and Pictures
A copy of the 7th Annual Putnam County Agricultural Association premium list was scanned by the DePauw Archives Department and is available for viewing here (click here) ...
This event occurred in Bainbridge and is believed to be during the year 1895 or 1896. This organization ultimately became what is known today as the Putnam County Fair & 4-H Club Association, Inc. which owns the Putnam County Fairgrounds and conducts the annual Putnam County Fair. Until 1998, the organization was a 501(c)5 organization classifying itself as an agricultural organization. Typical of most fairs in Indiana, fairs began as Agricultural Societies developed and later became known as Farmer's Institutes. During 1916-17, there were 516 Farmer's Institutes in the state. In 1998, the Putnam County Fair & 4-H Club Association, Inc. switched from being a 501(c)5 agricultural organization with its own exemption number to a USDA 501(c)3 general exemption number for 4-H. This move facilitated the ability to apply for more grants with an example being the Build Indiana funds that resulted in the construction of the Community Building East Side.
An agreement between the IRS and USDA developed during 2012-13 resulted in all of the 4-H 501(c)3 general exemption numbers being moved to land grant universities that oversee 4-H in each state rather than being maintained by USDA. For Indiana the land grant university is Purdue University. During 2012, the Putnam County Fair & 4-H Club Association, Inc. decided to continue with a 4-H general exemption number with Purdue University.