February 13, 2013
To: 4-H Beef & Dairy Steer Members & Community Club Ag Leaders
Beef and Dairy Steer Weigh-In will be Saturday, March 2, 2013 from 10:00 AM to 12:30 PM at the 4-H Fairgrounds. Beef Steers, Dairy Steers, Market and Commercial Heifers will be enrolled, weighed, and ear-tagged at this time. Beef Steers, Dairy Steers, Market and Commercial Heifers not brought to the fairgrounds at this time will be ineligible to show at the Randolph County Fair or the Indiana State Fair.
NEW FOR 2013 – Registered Heifers going to the Indiana State Fair must have a 15 digit RFID Tag. You may put these in yourself prior to May 15.
1. Completely fill out the enrollment section and sign your name.
2. Any one animal may not be enrolled by more than one 4-H’er, except for brothers and sisters and then only on separate forms.
3. Each 4-H’er must own her/her own exhibit (either entirely or in part according to the methods of registration listed on the back of 4-H 515) before state and county enrollment dates and continuously until date of show.
1. A heifer enrolled in a particular breed may be changed to the commercial class up until final entries are made at State Fair, provided the heifer was ear-tagged on March 2 or is a registered heifer that does not meet requirements for purebred classes offered at the Indiana State Fair.
2. Registered heifers must be visually identified by tattoo prior to the May 15 enrollment deadline. They do not need to be brought to the Fairgrounds. State Fair animals must have a 15 digit RFID tag.
3. All Non-Registered Heifers must be visually identified with a 5 digit county ear tag and a 15 digit RFID tag on March 2. They must be brought to the Fairgrounds.
4. If all information is not listed on the 4-H 515 Beef Form on March 2 (May 15 for Registered Heifers) the 4-H’er has made himself/herself ineligible for the County and State Fair.
5. A 4-H’er may enroll up to six total heifers.
BEEF AND DAIRY STEERS
1. 4-H’er may enroll up to six market steers. These may be the same or different breeds.
2. ALL animals must be enrolled, weighed, and visually identified by tag under the supervision of county 4-H committee on March 2 and all information and identification listed at this time.
3. Animals may be purebred, crossbred, or combination of both. Dairy steers must be 100% dairy blood.
4. Enroll beef steers by breeds on 4-H 515 for State Fair even if the county may not offer these breeds.
5. All Angus, Chianina, Hereford, Red Poll, Simmental, Limousin, Maine-Anjou, Salers, Santa Gertrudis and Shorthorn steers shown in all the County and State Fair respective breed shows must be registered and have valid registration certificates from their national registries.
A Beef and Dairy Beef enrollment form is enclosed. Directions for completing the form are on the back. Please read the directions carefully before you begin. Enrollment forms for all Dairy Steer, Beef Steer, Market and Commercial Heifers are due on March 2, 2013. Extra forms are available upon request.
If you know of a new 4-H Beef or Dairy Steer member, please inform them of this process and refer them to the Extension Office.
In case of severe snow, ice and/or cold, weigh-in will be postponed. The alternate date is March 9.
Daniel D. Kirtley