For 25 years, the Golden Apple awards have been given out to teachers exemplifying their profession.
At a banquet Monday, this year's crop of five local teachers was honored at the 25th annual Golden Apple banquet.
Each year Greater Lafayette Commerce solicits nominations from students, parents and colleagues. The award recognizes and celebrates the positive contributions of Tippecanoe County teachers.
Finalists are put through interviews and essays before the final five winners are chosen. Each receives a check for $1,000.
The winners this year are:
• Derrell Merkel, sixth-grade teacher at Wea Ridge Middle School.
• Ashley Greeley, Harrison High School
• Jon Eifler, Oakland High School
• Shelby Johnson, West Lafayette Jr.-Sr. High
• LuAnn Lamie, art teacher, Jefferson High School
The ceremony will be aired at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday, April 25th on WLFI-TV.