Library Series Empowers Gardeners
In the United States, 49 percent of citizens are now gardening. Purdue Extension-Allen
County held four workshop seminars in April at various libraries.
- 66 individuals participated
- Topics included: Tree Triage, Basic Lawn Care, and Garden Potpourri
- 100% of the participants said they learned something new that would
save them time and money
- 100% said they planned to change their future landscape management
Workshop Targets On-farm Food Safety
The Food Safety Modernization Act contains draft standards for safe production
and harvest of fruits and vegetables. Purdue Extension-Allen County hosted a
workshop where 14 participants learned about techniques to prevent contamination
in fruits and vegetables.
- 88% said they planned to adapt a new type of documentation and
- 63% said they needed to implement more safety practices
- 50% said they were already practicing good health and hygiene
on their farms
Purdue Extension Delivers
- Every $1 spent on the Indiana Family Nutrition Program
is expected to create $35.75 in economic returns.
- In a recent survey, 94% of Indiana 4-H participants
graduating from high school planned to pursue post-secondary
- In a similar Midwest state, an independent study concluded
that every $1 invested in Extension yielded $15 in
- Beginner's Guide to Grant Writing workshop recipients
received more than $7 million in grants to support
Good Agricultural Practices allow small farms to be competitive to distribute
to local grocery stores with full food safety plans and audits.
Money Fair Improves Financial Skills
The Money Smart Week Money Fair attracted 250 people who wanted to improve their
money managing skills. The event featured five educational workshops that were held
throughout the day and 24 vendors.
- 88% of the participants said the information was valuable
- 94% said they were likely to apply the information or take action on it
|Allen||Commercial Horticulture; Home and Money; Home, Yard and Garden||2013||Making a Difference|
|Allen||Economic and Community Development; 4-H Youth Development; Home and Money; Seniors||2012||Making a Difference|
|Allen||Commercial Horticulture; Field Crops; Home and Money||2012||Making a Difference|
|Allen||Commercial Horticulture; Home and Money||2012||Making a Difference|
|Allen||Commercial Horticulture; Home and Money; Home, Yard and Garden; Natural Resources/Environment||2011||Making a Difference|