Warrick County Youth Dig In
Warrick County youth had the opportunity to learn about plant
science, healthy eating, food safety, and fitness. Extension educators
collaborated with the director of Camp Brosend to launch the
“Camp Brosend Garden Program.” The day camp participants planted
and maintained a vegetable garden all summer long. They also learned
about healthy eating, recycling, exercise, and hand washing. As a
result of the program, participants said they understood more about
plants and would like to start a garden at home.
- 98 percent of the youth learned they needed 60 minutes of exercise per day,
- 75 percent said that they would increase their hand-washing habits, and
- 75 percent said they would like to begin home recycling.
Warrick County Venison Workshop
Hunting is a way of life for many citizens of Warrick County. Many deer are
butchered by hunters at home, though very few individuals have formal training
about how to properly process a wild game animal. The Warrick County Venison
Workshop was offered to address relevant information for participants.
Purdue Extension Delivers
- Every $1 spent on the Indiana Family Nutrition Program
is expected to create $35.75 in economic returns.
- In a recent survey, 94% of Indiana 4-H participants
graduating from high school planned to pursue post-secondary
- In a similar Midwest state, an independent study concluded
that every $1 invested in Extension yielded $15 in
- Beginner's Guide to Grant Writing workshop recipients
received more than $7 million in grants to support
After attending this program:
- 98 percent of participants indicated they planned to change how
they handled their deer meat,
- 97 percent indicated they had increased their knowledge about
food safety, and
- 87 percent indicated this was the first Extension program they
had ever attended.
After the workshop, one participant said, “Well worth the 3 hours. I’ve
processed at least one hundred deer and this workshop taught me new stuff.”
|Warrick||Food and Health; Home, Yard and Garden||2012||Making a Difference|
|Warrick||Food and Health; 4-H Youth Development||2012||Making a Difference|
|Warrick||Economic and Community Development; Food and Health; 4-H Youth Development; Home, Yard and Garden||2011||Making a Difference|