Clark State Forest in Henryville suffers tornado damage:Pictures of the destruction on Clark State Forest, Indiana's oldest state forest from the 3/2/12 tornadoes. (Pictures: PDF 5.5 MB) (Video, WHAS channel 11)
New Landowner Liability Law can Help Landowners
A new landowner liability law combined with the DNR's Hunters Helping Farmers program can help landowners experiencing deer damage to crops, forest regeneration or landscaping get deer populations under control on their property.
Thousand Cankers Disease discovered in Tennessee
This disease attacks and kills black walnut trees and is the first find in the eastern native range. See the U.S. Forest Service pest alert (PDF) or the Walnut Council website. Some things you can do:
- Check your black walnut trees for signs of this disease.
- Report any dead or declining walnut trees to 1-866-NO-EXOTIC.
- Don't move firewood of any kind. It spreads insects and diseases.
- Don't move walnut material from a known infested area.
EQIP Programs for Forestry
The 2008 Farm Bill provided for very good funding for forestry practices in the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) program. Check your eligibility or find specific information at your local NRCS office.
Forestry practicies which may be eligible include:
- Forest stand management
- Prescribed forestry management
- Tree and shrub establishment
- Upland and wetland wildlife habitat management
- Early successional habitat development and management
- Invasive species control
Indiana National Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) Office
IFWOA Calendar of Events
Check out Call Before You Cut online or call 888-939-9493 to receive a packet of valuable information on getting the most of your timber harvest.